Permits are required for nearly all improvements done to a residential or commercial property. Fences, driveways, roofing, swimming pools, as well as any electrical, mechanical, plumbing or general construction of a structure requires a building permit. A structure includes the main building as well as accessory buildings such as a storage unit, gazebo, etc.
The dismantling of a structure also requires a permit – a demolition permit. Nearly any commercial dismantling or remodeling will also require an asbestos survey (required by the State of Texas).
Understanding General Building Permits
A Building permit is required in order to protect the health, safety and welfare of the public. It does so by providing the means for City officials to review the project design and to inspect the construction for minimum standards as required by the adopted Building Code and the City Code.
A building permit is required for new construction, additions, alteration, renovations, relocations, and repairs or rehabilitation of a building or structure. Electrical, Plumbing and A/C and Heating may also be require. Your licensed contractor will know the requirements applicable.
The City requires all contractors to register before doing any work within the city limits. A list of licensed contractors is available at the Building Department.
For residential construction such as detached accessory structures, fences, swimming pools, etc. a site plan must be submitted with certain requirements.
Projects Which Require Permits
- Finish previously unfinished spaces such as rec. rooms, family rooms, basements, converting garages to dwelling space. Etc.
- Repair and underpinning of foundations
- Installation/replacement of wood stoves, fireplaces, furnaces, water heaters, air conditioners and condensing units
- Installation of pools in ground or above ground if over 5,000 gallons
- Sheds, garages, etc.
- All fences
- Adding/modifying/replacing a sidewalk or driveway approach
- Replacing electrical service panels or adding circuits
- Adding or moving plumbing fixtures
Projects Which Typically Do Not Require Permits
- Counter tops and similar finish work
- Prefabricated swimming pools that are less than 24 inches (610mm) deep
- Swings and other playground equipment
- Window awning supported by an exterior wall which do not project more than 54 inches (1372) from the exterior wall and do not require additional support.
Building Valuation and Permit Fees
|$1,000-$ 49,999||$15 for 1st $1,000 Plus $4.75 for ea. Addt. $1000 or fraction|
|$50,000-$ 99,999||$260 for 1st $50,000 Plus $3.75 for ea. Addt. $ 1000 or fraction|
|$100,000-$499,999||$460 for 1st $100,000 Plus $2.75 for ea. Addt. $1000 or fraction|
|$500,000 and above||$1,660 for 1st $500k Plus $1.75 for ea. Addt. $ 1000 or fraction|
Call Before You Dig – It’s the Law
Before beginning any building project that requires digging, please call (800) DIG TESS. Please allow 3-4 business days before beginning any project for all utilities to be notified and marked.
The City of Mercedes requires that all persons performing electrical, plumbing and mechanical work be properly licensed and if required to be registered by the City of Mercedes.