...freezing Temperatures Expected This Morning And Afternoon... .a Powerful Arctic Cold Front Has Blasted Through Deep South Texas A Few Hours Earlier Then Expected This Morning. Strong Winds And Freezing Temperatures Are Developing In The Wake Of The Front, And Therefore A Wind Advisory And Freeze Warning Are In Effect For Specific Portions Of The Region Today Into Wednesday. ...Read More.
Effective: January 16, 2018 at 6:00pmExpires: January 17, 2018 at 9:00amTarget Area: Hidalgo; Inland Cameron; Inland Willacy; Starr
Mercedes Fire Department’s goal is to keep you safe and be there when you need us. Provided on this page are links to some helpful hints and tips that we would like to share with you. The links cover a wide range of topics from Heater safety to smoke alarms to preventing poisoning incidents. Please take a moment and review this information.
- Have a working smoke alarm outside each sleeping area, inside each sleeping area, and on each level of your home.
- Test smoke alarms monthly and change the batteries at least once a year. Do not change the battery if you have a lithium battery. The alarm will let out a periodic “chirping” sound when it needs a new battery.
- Install smoke alarms away from air vents.
- Install smoke alarms on the ceiling or wall, at least 4 inches from the corners.
- When affixed to walls, smoke alarms should be between 4 and 12 inches from the ceiling.
- Never disable or remove smoke alarm batteries.
- Develop a fire escape plan with the members of your household and practice often.
- Know two ways to exit from every room in your home.
- Make sure that safety bars on windows can be opened from inside your home.
- Crawl low, under smoke.
- Feel closed doors. If hot, use another exit.
- Identify a place to meet outside in case of fire. Never re-enter a burning building.
- Escape first. Then call 9-1-1 for emergency assistance.
- Keep clothes, blankets, curtains and other combustibles at least three feet from portable heaters.
- Place portable heaters where they will not tip over easily.
- Have chimneys cleaned and inspected annually by a professional.
- Clear the area around the hearth of debris, flammables and decorative materials.
- Always use a metal mesh screen with fireplaces and leave glass doors open while burning a fire.
- Keep clothes, towels and other combustibles away from stove burners.
- Never leave cooking unattended.
- Be sure your stove and small appliances are off before going to bed.
- Check for frayed wires and do not run cords under rugs or furniture.
- Never overload electrical sockets.
- Keep lighters and matches out of the reach of children.
- Never leave cigarettes unattended.
- Queen City Cafe
- Notices and Announcements
- City Manager
- City Secretary / Human Resources
- Municipal Court
- Fire Department
- Planning Department
- Keep Mercedes Beautiful Committee
- Building and Inspectors Division
- Health Inspections
- Code Enforcement
- Water / Waste Water Division (OMI)
- Police Department
- Public Works
- Recreation Centers