What is a School Resource Officer’s responsibilities?
- Mercedes School Resource Officers is there most importantly to begin the important relationship with children by essentially “bridging the gap between Cops and Kids”.
This is where an officer acts as an Educator, Counselor, and Law Enforcement Officer within the school environment. This can encompass a variety of activities such as:
- Problem Solver & Liaison to the Community-SRO’s are a source for citizens who may have questions relating to students. By working closely in the Community, SRO’s are able to find problem areas.
- They receive additional training that is specific to the school positions. This training maximizes the officer’s effectiveness in the school setting.
- School administrators work closely together providing a safe environment for School-aged children. SRO’s assist the schools in developing crisis plans, and evacuation procedures that are a safety concern.
- Counselor/Mentor-By working with the students, SRO’s are able to establish a rapport with the students. SRO’s are very approachable and become a source for questions and advice.
- Queen City Cafe
- Notices and Announcements
- City Manager
- City Secretary / Human Resources
- Municipal Court
- Fire Department
- Planning Department
- Keep Mercedes Beautiful Committee
- Building and Inspectors Division
- Health Inspections
- Code Enforcement
- Water / Waste Water Division (OMI)
- Police Department
- Public Works
- Recreation Centers