The Mayor and City Commissioners are elected at-large to serve three-year terms. The City of Mercedes holds elections on the General Election day in May.
You can register any time, however, you must be registered to vote 30 days before an election in which you plan to vote.
Are you registered?
Check voter registration and find your polling location here:
Hidalgo County Voter Lookup
Need to Register?
Voter registration applications are available at:
- Hidalgo County Elections Department 101 S. 10th Ave, Edinburg, TX
- Texas Department of Public Safety Offices (DPS)
- By calling the Voter Registration Office at (956)318-2570
Voter ID Requirements
In 2011, the Texas Legislature passed Senate Bill 14 (SB 14) creating a new requirement for voters to show photo identification when voting in person. As a result, voters are now required to present an approved form of photo identification in order to vote in all Texas Elections.
Here is a list of the acceptable forms of photo ID:
- Texas driver license issued by the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS)
- Texas Election Identification Certificate issued by DPS
- Texas personal identification card issued by DPS
- Texas concealed handgun license issued by DPS
- United States military identification card containing the person’s photograph
- United States citizenship certificate containing the person’s photograph
- United States passport
With the exception of the U.S. citizenship certificate, the identification must be current or have expired no more than 60 days before being presented for voter qualification at the polling place