The InterLibrary Loan Program (ILL)
The Dr. Hector P. Garcia Memorial Library makes every attempt to provide a well-rounded collection. However, it is impossible to carry every topic or author a patron is requesting. In order to be able to accommodate as many requests as possible, the library participates in an interlibrary loan program (ILL) with local Hidalgo County libraries and libraries across the United States.
Are there any fees associated with ILL?
The interlibrary loan program is provided free of charge to our patrons. However, a patron is responsible for any fines imposed by the lending library. The patron is also responsible for any damage or loss of the material.
How many ILL’s can I request?
A patron is only allowed to request 2 interlibrary loans within a 14 day period. Patrons will be notified by phone or email when their loan arrives. A loan must be picked up within 5 days, if not the item will be returned to the lending library.
How long can I keep my item?
The loan period and renewals are dependent upon the rules of the lending library. You may generally expect to keep an item for a minimum of two weeks. The due date of the loan item is clearly stated when the item is borrowed from the library. If a patron is interested in requesting a renewal, the request must be made to library staff 3 days prior to the listed due date. The lending library is responsible for deciding if a renewal request will be granted.
What do I need in order to place an ILL request?
- The patron must have a library card with a Hidalgo County Library System member.
- The patron must have an account in good standing with no fees or fines owed on their library account.
- The patron’s interlibrary loan account must be in good standing with no interlibrary loan materials overdue at the time of the request.
- The patron must complete an Interlibrary Loan Request Form either in person, by fax, or email.
What items can I not borrow?
When requesting an interlibrary loan please bear in mind that the library will not borrow:
- Ebooks and downloadable audio.
- Musical recordings, software, or video recordings in any format.
- Original books printed before 1950. However, we will try to borrow these materials in reprint if available.
- Items published within the last 3 months, as these are generally in a library’s new books or bestseller category.
- Items that are owned by the Dr. Hector P. Garcia Memorial Library, unless all copies are lost or missing.
- Queen City Cafe
- Notices and Announcements
- City Manager
- City Secretary / Human Resources
- Municipal Court
- Fire Department
- Planning Department
- Keep Mercedes Beautiful Committee
- Building and Inspectors Division
- Health Inspections
- Code Enforcement
- Water / Waste Water Division (OMI)
- Mercedes Police Department
- Public Works
- Recreation Centers